Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Don't be a Tourist

In Philippians 2:5-8 are words that should challenge us to immerse ourselves with those not yet following Jesus. Jesus fleshed out what life was suppose to look like by deciding to leave the perfect environment for where we and our friends live life. In fact he got rid of his passport and became one of us. He chose to experience life as we do. It seems easy to drop into someone else's world for a day, month or whatever and leave when we want to. If it gets uncomfortable in any way we can easily decide it is time to go home. But Jesus changed addresses. His home was where we live.

We are kidding ourselves and cheating other people if we do not really enter their world. The gospel will never make sense to my friends if all I do is talk about it and leave. They will never see what I am talking about. For me this means I must consistently be with them in their environment and on their terms. I do not have to compromise to do this but I will have to alter my lifestyle.

Our comfortable environment with believers is sweet but never crosses the boundaries where life is lived for most people. We must eliminate the boundaries or those not yet following Jesus will never get to see Jesus and how he loves them.

Take some of the back streets and get off of main street. Eat at the local cafe rather than the chain. Invite someone you do not know to have lunch with you that is outside of your boundary. Just don't be a tourist. The view from the street is different from the tour bus.

1 comment:

David said...

Dave,

When I read Phil 2:5-8 and see words like: "made himself nothing", "very nature of a servant", "humbled himself", not only do I not see a tourist, but I don't see:

-a visiting scholar
-a government official viewing a disaster
-a volunteer trying to meet a need out of guilt or an idealogical conviction

Instead, I see a migrant worker: Jesus' citizenship was not of this world, but he migrated to our world, and worked for those of this world. And what was his work? Death, "even death on the cross". And what do most give Him for this wonderful work? Rejection and ridicule. As this passage says, this is our example. I pray that I might somehow reflect His perfect example, even if dimly, as I sojourn through this world.

I love you Dave for the challenges and encouragement you bring into my life.

David M