Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What is the right color?

Earlier this week Frannie and I spent the day in Boulder. Many Christians might say "why would you spend a day in Boulder?" If I told them we hung out on Pearl Street, they might immediately leave if I told them this in person. What would cause them to respond this way?

Pearl Street is one of the most eclectic places I know. It probably rules in this category in Colorado. Monday was an amazing sight on the Pearl Street Mall. People were everywhere, wearing multi colored everything, playing about every musical instrument you could think of, laying on the grass and probably doing more than that with grass. There was quite a bit of affection being shown, dreadlocks were plentiful. It was a perfect time to be there unless...

I commented to Frannie that I believe this is exactly where Jesus would be today. Most of the people on the mall were looking for ways to enjoy the warm day and find something resembling meaning or maybe they were escaping the deadly boredom that they knew was coming the next day as they returned to work. Many of these people were definitely marginalized types. Most believers would at the worst stay as far away from them as possible and at the best look another way as they passed by.

All I can say is that I felt more energy being there than I had for some time. My heart went out to the people trying to grab something to make life have a point. Jesus came for people like this. In fact he was more comfortable with them than those who thought they had figured out what special place they would have with him later. He made all the colors.

This might take you out of your comfort but after a few conversations with some of these Jesus loves and died for, you would change your mind. How could you not love these people when Jesus does?

Check out Matthew 9:9-13 and John 2:1-11

Where are you engaging those people who are ignored or avoided? You can be certain that the places and people we want to avoid is exactly where Jesus would be and who he would be helping figure out life.

2 comments:

TEXAS LOVER said...

Hey Dave love all of your posts some of thenm make you think and today I saw for the first time; 5 people were wearing texas sweatshirts at my track meet.
Hook em horns
Ryan

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Well, this is a really longshot. This is Steve D., UW alumnus from 77-80 era. Decided to do some searching for some Laramie and BSU floks and hoping I found you. I found Christ through BSU ministries and would like to reconnect.