Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Different Kind of Trip part 1

Luke 10:5-8 Jesus is giving his followers some last minute thinking before he sent them off. "Look for a person of peace." Get close to them by staying in their house. "Eat and drink whatever they give you." He reminds them of this last one again in verse 8.

I thought about the "eating and drinking whatever they give you" part. Isn't it interesting how God speaks to us from the Word? This definitely involved food but God had something different to say to me.

I remember one time overseas being served horse and another time a dish of warm milk with rice in it. Not exactly meat lover's pizza. But it was set before me and I ate it.

I like to go to buffets because I get to choose what I eat. I also have ideas of what my day, week or life should look like. But God has been talking to me about accepting whatever he gives me or brings into my life or whatever he does not.

Instead of approaching my day with anticipation of what God may do that day, I can easily plan it myself or look back at it at the end of the day disappointed that God did not somehow cause it to be different. I regularly seem to have what I believe is a better idea of what should be going on in my life.

But God is saying "let me determine what you need, who you need to talk with or not talk with, what kind of ministry you need or don't need..." In short, I need to believe God has my best interest in mind and accept with joy what he provides for me that day. He really does have it all together!

When I have any disappointment in the trip, it means I am not looking at life like God does. The words "freedom", "joy", and "abundant life" are missing in my dictionary when I live this way.

The church Frannie and I attend has a saying "figuring out life and faith." I totally am working on this.

Question What 5 words come to your mind that describe how you are accepting what God is
bringing into your life...or not bringing into your life?

If God put the food on the table, would it look different from what you would put on it?
What's that about?

No comments: