Monday, April 12, 2010

What was that sound?

It seems some people are very good at hearing-all kinds of things like bird sounds, people talking and even God. I am definitely getting older and my hearing is not as good as it was a few years ago. I probably do play some music too loud but it really sounds better loud. But I should be able to hear God better-right? I mean I have had almost 50 years working on it.

So, when I read Acts 8:26-30 I see a guy who is hanging out with some others and an angel shows up to tell him something. He obviously hears the angel because he starts out on the trip. Then later the Spirit tells him  to go see a guy whose car is on the side of the road. Hearing again, he does just that and has one of the most significant conversations anyone could have. The guy he talks with becomes a follower of Jesus and later starts the Coptic Church in Egypt and Ethiopia. Did you ever wake up thinking you would talk with someone who would end up doing this?

What the spank does an angel sound like and why did one talk with Philip? Then why did the Spirit take over later. Frannie and I are waiting to hear from God about a couple of things. We have been waiting from our perspective, for a while. I am not getting younger as you probably know and want to get on with it. Silence! That is what I am hearing these days. I am thinking Philip got a good deal.

I am intrigued by something Larry Crabb said. "How deep into darkness do Christians have to go to find light?" I love that and I hate it. I am not sure what it means but I think I am learning. Do I want answers or relationship with Jesus? God is all about relationship and answers to some of my questions are secondary to the larger picture. I have to remember my part in the movie is about "one" word. Darkness is indeed one of the best teachers. Taking the class over is a rip though. Isaiah 50:10-11 are huge as I think about my role in listening and planning.

Think about this

1. What can you learn in darkness that you can't learn in the light?
2. Do yo want Jesus more than you want answers to your questions? How do you know?

No comments: