Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I dare you to jump!

When was the last time you did something daring? The entrance and exit from Colorado highway 34 and Interstate 25 is worth avoiding if you can. It can be scary but usually you can negotiate it and breathe easy. But if this is the most daring event in your life for the week or month or...does it really qualify as daring?

Jesus was not only a teacher but he was also a revolutionary. What do you think following Jesus as a revolutionary meant while he walked the planet? How about today? The disciples were often left scratching their head as to what Jesus would do next. Maybe they breathed a sigh of relief when he just wanted to go fishing...or maybe not. Maybe danger and adventure was part of their DNA and they expected to be stretched not only in their thinking but also in their lifestyle. Remember, these guys left their vocations to follow Jesus. For the most part, we go to school or our job and then only occasionally think of what it means to follow this revolutionary man. Following Jesus like this would mean giving up consumerism, greed, self-centeredness, violence or whatever else that was not part of Jesus' lifestyle.

Think about Luke 6:46,47 (Message) "Why are you so polite with me, always saying "yes, sir" and "That's right sir", but never doing a thing I tell you? These words I speak to you are not mere additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundation words, words to build a life on."

I imagine Jesus throwing a Frisbee with the disciples on the road to wherever but in Luke 6, he takes deadly aim at our comfortable hopes of what it means to follow Jesus. Anytime he intersected the life of a person he would either make a statement or ask a question that altered that person's understanding of what was important in life and required a decision that would change their lifestyle if they bought in to what he challenged them with.

I keep thinking about what I have done lately that proves I am following this revolutionary man. I have done many daring things overseas, but I live here. Can Jesus really mean there are some daring aspects to following him in Windsor? I showed up to help lay sod at a park in Windsor...a really scary deal! I go to Loodles coffee shop and meet someone I did not previously know...maybe this is a big deal! However, I want to learn something here. I really want Jesus to introduce something into my life that takes courage on my part to do...or do I? How about a Mini?

FOCUS THOUGHT "People who change the world climb through windows rather than walking through doors. These are the risk takers." Shane Claiborne

1 comment:

Carrie said...

great words as usual...i think what is courage to one is sometimes daily life to another...like we need to find out what the stretch is for us...for some, it might be just talking to someone they don't know...for someone else, it could be moving to an unknown town and changing their lifestyle completely...i'm not sure what it looks like for me, but i'm certainly going to think about it...